Serving and ex-serving Australian Defence Force members can apply for a PTSD Service dog.
Defence Community Dogs specialises in training dogs to support veterans suffering PTSD.
If you would like further information please email [email protected] for an application information sheet and application form.
Each applicant will be required to provide the following:
- A fully completed application form.
- Evidence that they are or were a serving member of the Australian Defence Force.
- A medical letter of endorsement verifying that they have a medical condition and that a Service Dog would benefit the individual.
- A confirmation of membership and a recommendation from a recognised defence veteran support organisation / ex-service organisation.
- The names of a local dog trainer or dog training group who will help them maintain their dog’s skill level in the future. Defence Community Dogs may be able to help with identifying suitable local trainers if veterans need assistance. We know that some veterans may not have owned a dog or participated in dog training in the past.
Each applicant will also be required to pass an environmental and suitability assessment for the dog. Details of these requirements are outlined in the ‘DCD Service Dog – Application Information’ document and application form.
If your application is successful, please remember that it may take some time to find a dog which is suitable and compatible to your needs, so please be patient.