Access to more than 130 currencies.
Send via Online Banking, our award-winning app or in-branch.
Funds usually 2-3 business days.
Funds received in destination currency.
You can count on Defence Bank to offer you a premium, personalised incoming and outgoing telegraphic transfer (also known as a “wire”) payment service at competitive rates.
What is a telegraphic transfer?
Maybe you would like to make a payment to someone overseas or send a financial gift to a family member or friend living in another country? A telegraphic transfer (TT) is an efficient way to send money overseas in a choice of more than 130 currencies – view currencies here. Your funds are transferred electronically to the beneficiary’s bank account in their local currency. It will normally take two to three business days to reach their bank*. This is a cost effective and fast way to send funds abroad.
Telegraphic transfer features.
- Access to more than 130 currencies.
- Send via Defence Bank Online Banking, Mobile App or Defence Bank branch.
- Funds usually received by beneficiary bank within 2-3 business days.
- Secure and cost-effective way to send money overseas.
Sending money - outbound telegraphic transfer.
What details do I need to send a TT?
- You will need to provide full details of the beneficiary’s bank account, including their IBAN (International Bank Account Number) if they are in Europe.
- To comply with Australian Government regulations, you must also provide the beneficiary’s full street address.
- Please note that TTs are sent via a network of correspondent banks, which sometimes levy a small handling charge on your payment. Any such fees are out of the control of Defence Bank and Western Union Business Solutions. Given that a network of banks is used to complete your telegraphic transfer, the time it takes for your payment to be credited cannot be guaranteed.
How do I send a TT?
Simply log on to your online banking account or mobile app, select Transfer/Pay > International Transfers for online banking or simply select the International tab on the mobile banking app. Continue to follow the prompts to complete your TT.
Note: A TA password may be required, if you do not know your TA password please call our Contact Centre on 1800 033 139 or visit us in branch.
- Send money now.
- Western Union rate calculator.
- Western Union foreign exchange rates.
- International money transfer terms and conditions.
Receiving money - inward telegraphic transfer.
What do I need to do to receive money to my account?
- Login to your online banking and select Receiving Money From Overseas under the Transfer/Pay option.
- Select the Defence Bank’s Inward Transfer Service link.
- Choose the country you are receiving funds from.
- Complete the relevant information in the online form and submit.
- You will be then presented with the PDF deposit instructions. Please save it for your reference and email it to your payee/ follow payment instructions.
- Ask the sender to:
- present these instructions to their bank when sending the payment to you.
- deposit the amount into the dedicated account as stated in the instructions in local currency (not in AUD) and instruct bank teller to include payment note <Defence Bank> 00000-Defence Bank <Your name> in the bank’s reference field as specified in the PDF deposit instructions.
- Register for online banking at our Western Union portal.