Working at Defence Bank is more than just a career, it's a way of life.
One of the main benefits of joining an organisation like Defence Bank is you get to make a difference. Our people tell us one of the things they enjoy most about working here is they make a difference to the lives of our members.
All team members participate in continuous improvement activities, while our flat organisational structure encourages open communication at all levels. We don't just talk about having an open door policy – we practise it every day.
Our Australia-wide branch network and support for flexible working arrangements offers opportunities to stay with Defence Bank if you need to move interstate.
Interested in working for Defence Bank? Visit our Career Centre and see what job positions we're currently recruiting.
What we look for.
Our recruitment process is fair and consistent, involving a range of activities including an online application form, behavioural interviews, online assessments, and background checks.
We look for candidates who share Our Principles, appreciate our culture, with personal qualities and experience in:
- Customer service where providing a great experience and building a relationship with the customer has been a key component of your past work.
- Adopting a positive and enthusiastic approach – someone who is innovative and keen to use their initiative.
- Working both within a team and independently, while showing a mutual respect towards colleagues and our members.
- Ambition with a drive to achieve individual goals and contribute to team goals.
- The potential to grow and develop into a future leader at Defence Bank.
- An understanding and appreciation of why Defence Bank exists, the connection we have with our members and the overall Defence community.
Balance is important.
We understand our staff lead increasingly busy lifestyles, juggling both their position at Defence Bank with outside commitments such as family, sport and relaxation. It’s important for us to support a healthy balance between these demands wherever possible.
- Up to 10 days personal leave a year (full-time entitlement) to assist in the recovery of personal illness or injury, or to care for an immediate family or household member.
- Eligibility to take parental leave after six months’ service.
- Flexible working arrangements, depending on the business needs of the location or team.
- A range of financial, mental, and physical wellbeing activities as part of our Thrive program (including annual flu vaccinations and an exclusive discount on private health insurance through our partner, Navy Health).
Helping you grow.
We provide a range of learning and development activities such as:
- A structured 12-week induction program for all new team members.
- Specialised product training.
- Ongoing leadership development.
- Continuing professional development.Comprehensive eLearning catalogue.
We also encourage our team members to undertake further study by offering study assistance and exam leave.
Appreciating all you do.
We provide a range of employee benefits:
- Exclusive discounts on Defence Bank products.
- Annual corporate wardrobe allowance.
- Superannuation salary sacrifice.
- Casual days.
- Study assistance.
- An additional day's leave at Christmas.
We also recognise hard work and effort through these programs:
- Going the Extra Mile, which recognises team members who go above and beyond with a celebratory meal and an extra day's leave.
- Candidate Referral, which rewards you for making recommendations of successful candidates for vacant positions.
- Life Event where gifts are given for major life events such as marriage or the birth of a child.
Defence Bank also actively supports our community with one day's paid leave available if you participate in raising funds for our chosen charity, the Defence Bank Foundation.
Supporting the careers of Defence partners.
At Defence Bank, we understand the life of a Defence family includes challenges such as postings and deployments, and we look to support the partners of serving Australian Defence Force members to gain meaningful employment wherever possible.
In 2018, we were honoured to join Defence Families of Australia as a Defence Partner Supportive Employer. With more than 30% of our frontline team directly connected to the ADF, this partnership signifies our commitment to providing a working environment that accommodates the unique needs of Defence partners and families.
In 2019, we were awarded the Prime Minister’s Excellence in Supporting Spouse Employment award. This award recognises companies that demonstrate excellence in attraction, recruitment, hiring and retention of military spouses.