Working at Defence Bank is more than just a career, it's a way of life.
One of the main benefits of joining an organisation like Defence Bank is you get to make a difference. Our people tell us one of the things they enjoy most about working here is they make a difference to the lives of our members.
All team members participate in continuous improvement activities, while our flat organisational structure encourages open communication at all levels. We don't just talk about having an open-door policy – we practise it every day.
Our Australia-wide branch network and support for flexible working arrangements offer opportunities to stay with Defence Bank if you need to move interstate.
Interested in working for Defence Bank? Visit our Career Centre and see what job positions we're currently recruiting.
What we look for.
Our recruitment process is fair and consistent, involving a range of activities including an online application form, behavioural interviews, online assessments, and background checks.
We look for candidates who share Our Principles, appreciate our culture and that have personal qualities and experience that includes:
- Customer service, where providing a great experience and building a relationship with the customer has been a key component of your past work.
- Adopting a positive and enthusiastic approach – someone who is innovative and keen to use their initiative.
- Working both within a team and independently, while showing a mutual respect towards colleagues and our members.
- Ambition with a drive to achieve individual goals and contribute to team goals.
- The potential to grow and develop into a future leader at Defence Bank.
- An understanding and appreciation of why Defence Bank exists, the connection we have with our members and the overall Defence community.
- To help keep our people and community safe, all successful candidates must be vaccinated and provide their vaccination status prior to commencement.
Balance is important.
At Defence Bank we value our employees and embrace flexible working arrangements. Where possible, employees are encouraged to work from a location that best suits their individual ways of working. Defence Bank offers a number of 'work from anywhere roles' and actively promotes a positive work/life balance.
In addition, our newly refurbished Support Office is a vibrant and welcoming space to engage in activity and team-based work and come together to achieve shared goals. It truly is the best of both worlds.
- Up to 10 days personal leave a year (full-time entitlement) to assist in the recovery of personal illness or injury, or to care for an immediate family or household member.
- Eligibility to take parental leave after six months’ service.
- Flexible working arrangements, depending on the business needs of the location or team.
- A range of financial, mental, and physical wellbeing activities as part of our Thrive program (including annual flu vaccinations and an exclusive discount on private health insurance through our partner, Navy Health).
Helping you grow.
Defence Bank supports the growth and development of all employees and offers:
- A structured 12-week induction program for all new team members.
- Specialised product training.
- Ongoing leadership development.
- Continuing professional development.
- Comprehensive eLearning catalogue.
We also encourage our team members to undertake further study by offering study assistance and exam leave.
We value our employees and provide a range of employee benefits including:
- Exclusive discounts on Defence Bank products.
- Recognition of birthdays and service anniversaries.
- Vaccination and paid pandemic leave.
- Annual corporate wardrobe allowance.
- Superannuation salary sacrifice.
- Referral rewards.
- Volunteer and community service leave.
- CGU insurance discounts.
- Study assistance.
- An additional day's leave as a Thank You day in December or January.
- Wellbeing programs.
- Access to EAP through the Uprise platform.
We also recognise hard work and effort through the following programs:
This one’s for you – TOFY.
This One’s For You (TOFY) is Defence Bank’s reward and recognition platform.
This dynamic site is a great way for Defence Bank to support and recognise the efforts of our employees through vouchers, discounts, ecards and more.
The exclusive Defence Bank site offers discounts at more than 400 retailers both in-store and online.
Best of all, the interactive platform provides employees with the opportunity to communicate with their peers and share in their achievements and milestones.
TOFY is the perfect way to stay connected and celebrate our Defence Bank people.
Rewards you for making recommendations of successful candidates for vacant positions.
Volunteer and community service leave.
Our people are renowned for helping those in need. Volunteer leave allows employees to take time to give back to causes that are important to them.
Full-time and part-time employees can take one day's paid leave during each year of service to participate in community, fundraising or awareness activities/events.
In addition, community service leave is available for activities including jury duty, disaster relief or if you are a member of an emergency assistance organisation such as the SES.
Defence Bank also actively supports our community through the Defence Bank Foundation.