A little about us.
Defence Bank commenced operations in March 1975 as Defence Force Credit Union Limited (Defcredit) before changing its name to Defence Bank in 2012. Today, Defence Bank has the most on-base branches across Australia.
Unlike many other financial institutions, Defence Bank doesn’t exist to make profits for shareholders. We’re here to focus on your financial needs, rather than being driven to make profits for shareholders. We re-invest our profits back into the Bank to make sure we give you the service and competitive products you deserve.
Defence Bank offers financial products and services to not only the Australian Defence Force, but the broader community as well. Defence Bank is one of Australia’s larger member-owned banks.
A little about our members.
We think Defence Bank members are a pretty great group of people, and the list is growing with more and more Australians recognising the benefits of being part of the Defence Bank family.
Even though we’ve traditionally focused on the Australian Defence Force, you don’t have to be a Defence Force employee or relative to take advantage of Defence Bank’s products and services – membership is open to all Australians.
You also don't have to leave Defence Bank because you resign or retire from the Defence Force or move interstate. You can continue to access our full range of products and services through channels like Mobile Banking, Online Banking, and through our Contact Centre.
Become a member of Defence Bank.
What guides our business.
Everything we do at Defence Bank is guided by these three pillars that represent who we are and why we love and respect our work.
Our purpose is to serve those who protect us.
It’s clear. It’s simple. It’s honest.
- It's why we challenge ourselves to continuously learn.
- It's why we question the status quo and seek out new opportunities to continuously improve.
- It's why we keep our members top of mind and seek to be their financial partner.
- It's why we open the doors each day.
Our purpose keeps us focused on being the best Bank we can be.
Because the lives, needs, courage, challenges and commitment of our members is unique.
And we’re the bank that understands this.
Every day, we support the financial needs of the defence community, both serving and non-serving.
We provide banking products and services that help create financial security and prosperity.
And we couldn’t be prouder to do so.
Because we’re deeply on their side.
Allied with incredible individuals and families.
On-base, in our branches across Australia.
In the hands of our members, via our award-winning app.
Right here, ready to enable and guide across their whole life journey.
Serving the needs of those who serve us all.
A unique bank, for a unique life.
Defence Bank. For a life like no other.
We are an organisation of unique people, serving a unique community.
The promise we make to each other and our members is…
We count on you. And you can count on us.
- It means we're focused on doing what's right.
- It's a declaration of what we, and our members, can expect when dealing with us.
- Our members can count on us to understand their needs, and to put their prosperity and security first.
- Our people can count on Defence Bank, to nurture their talents and wellbeing.
Our principles guide how we ACT.
These principles include:
- We're Accountable; with integrity for our behaviour and decisions and commitment to follow through on what we say we'll do.
- We're Collaborative; working as one team and one organisation, to achieve shared goals.
- We're Transparent; with timely, clear and honest communications regarding what we do.
Our principles unite us.
Together we can deliver a great and consistent member and employee experience.
Over the past three years, Defence Bank has achieved sustained growth in both our loan and deposit portfolios, which has led to a steady growth in assets of over 10% each year.
This continued success enables us to provide a full suite of products and services for members, as well as competitive interest rates and low fees. We also offer a broad network of branches around Australia, an award-winning app, Online Banking and our Australia-based Contact Centre.