What information can be disclosed?
The Privacy Act allows us and other applicable persons to disclose personal information about you when related to the primary purpose for which it was collected.
This personal information may include your:
- title/rank, name, sex, date of birth, driver's licence number
- postal/residential address, contact details
- employer and occupation
- financial details, bank account details
- tax file number (TFN)
We may also need to collect personal information from you that is sensitive. This includes information about your health and wellbeing. Your sensitive information will only be disclosed where relevant to the purposes for which it was collected.
How we use your information.
When you apply for a product or service, we will collect personal information about you. We will use this information for the purpose of the relevant application and to assist us in providing you with the product or service and for managing our business.
When you visit our website we also collect information about you. The type of information we collect, how we collect it and then use that information, is set out in the section of this notice headed "Website".
We may also be required to collect, use and disclose information provided by you in order to comply with relevant laws and regulations.
We may also use personal information collected from you in order to tell you about other products and services. You can let us know at any time if you wish to no longer receive direct marketing materials from us.
If you are unable to provide us with the personal information requested, then we may be unable:
- to provide you with the product or service applied for;
- to manage or administer your product or service;
- to provide you with the interactive facilities on our website;
- to provide you with full functionality on our website;
- to verify your identify or protect you from fraud;
- to tell you about other products or services that may be of interest or benefit to you.
Who can give or obtain information?
For the purposes of providing a product or service to you, providing you with access to and use of our website, managing our business and where required or allowed under applicable laws, we may give information to or obtain information from:
- external service providers to us, such as organisations which we use to verify your identity, payment systems;
- operators, mailing houses and research consultants;
- insurers and re-insurers, where insurance is provided in connection with our services to you;
- superannuation funds, where superannuation services are provided to you;
- retirement savings account services providers, where retirement savings account services are provided to you;
- internet service providers;
- third parties where you access the website of that third party via a link on our website;
- our professional advisors, such as accountants, lawyers and auditors;
- your employer/s and representative, for example, lawyer, financial advisor or attorney, as authorised by you;
- government and regulatory authorities, if required or allowed by law, such as to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner, the Australian Taxation Office and the National Housing and Finance Investment Corporation.
Other privacy notices and permissions.
When you apply for a specific product or service there may be other privacy considerations, conditions and permissions which apply to that product or service. Examples include where you apply for a loan or for a deposit product. In those circumstances, both this Website Privacy Notice and the privacy notice or permission specific to the relevant product or service applies and co-exists, but where there is conflict between them, the privacy notice or permission specific to the product or service prevails.
This section explains how we handle personal information and credit information collected from our website. If you have any questions or concerns about transmitting your personal information via the internet, you may contact our Privacy Officer, whose details are set out below as there may be other ways for you to provide us with your personal information.
Anytime you access an unsecured part of our website, that is, a public page that does not require you to log on, we will collect:
- the time and date of the visit
- any information or documentation that you download
- your browser type
- internet protocol details of the device used to access the site
Our website also includes a number of calculators, which may require you to enter your personal details. If you save the data you enter on the calculator, this information will be stored.
You may change the settings on your browser to reject cookies, however doing so might prevent you from accessing the secured pages of our website.
When we receive emails, we will retain the content of the email and our response to you where we consider it necessary to do so.
Your email address will only be used or disclosed for the purpose for which it was provided. It will not be added to any mailing lists or used for any other purpose without your consent.
We use up-to-date security measures on our website to protect your personal information and your credit information. Any data containing personal, credit or related information which we transmit via the internet is encrypted. However, we cannot guarantee that any information transmitted via the internet by us, or yourself, is entirely secure. You use our website at your own risk.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information held by us (on our website or elsewhere), is protected from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, disclosure or modification.
We currently do not disclose your personal information overseas. However, if we were to disclose this information outside Australia in the future, we would do so on the basis that the information will be used only for the primary purpose for which it was collected.
We may use your personal information, including your contact details, to provide you with information about products and services, including those of third parties, which we consider may be of interest to you. We are permitted to do this while you are our customer, and even if you are on the Do Not Call Register.
We may also provide your details to other organisations for specific marketing purposes.
We will consider that you consent to this, unless you opt out. You may opt out at any time if you no longer wish to receive marketing information or do not wish to receive marketing information through a particular channel, like email. In order to do so, you will need to request that we no longer send marketing materials to you or disclose your information to other organisations for marketing purposes.
You can make this request by contacting Defence Bank, or by 'unsubscribing' from our email marketing messages, which always include an unsubscribe option.
To help us reach the right people with our credit direct marketing, we may ask a credit reporting body to "pre-screen" a list of potential recipients of our direct marketing against our eligibility criteria to remove recipients that do not meet those criteria. From 12 March 2014, the credit reporting body cannot use information about your existing loans or repayment history in carrying out its pre-screening and it must destroy its pre-screening assessment once it has given us, or a contractor acting on our behalf, the list of eligible recipients. From 12 March 2014, if you do not want your credit information used for pre-screening by a credit reporting body that holds credit information about you, you can opt-out by informing that credit reporting body, whose contact details are on their website above.
Our Privacy Officer’s contact details are:
Address: PO BOX 14537
Melbourne VIC 8001
Telephone: 1800 033 139
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (marked to the attention of the Privacy Officer)