Car insurance for learner drivers.

Learning to drive is the tipping point for discovering greater independence – no more relying on public transport or family and friends to get you around. But before you buckle in and hit the road, you’ll need to make sure you have the right kind of insurance cover to suit your situation – just in case the unexpected happens. Here are the basics on what you need to know about insurance for learner drivers.

Get covered with the right car insurance.

Learning to drive is an exciting milestone. So, if it’s your first time behind the wheel, or you’re guiding a learner driver, you’ll want to make sure you’re protected on the road with the right type of car insurance. But your choice of cover will depend on your situation. For example, are you learning to drive using your parent’s car or using your own new set of wheels to learn in? Whatever the situation is, here are some of the main types of car insurance and what’s covered.

Comprehensive car insurance.

This is our most popular type of cover. It protects your car from the unexpected, and comes with options to suit how you drive the vehicle. This policy can cover the cost of repairs for damage caused by both parties in an incident, natural events like flood and fire, and unexpected circumstances such as theft.

Third Party Property Damage car insurance.

If you’re looking for basic security while you’re out on the road, this policy provides smart cover for the unexpected. Even if your budget is tight, or your car’s not worth much, you might still need cover if you cause an accident or an uninsured driver runs into you. Third Party Property Damage car insurance covers you for the cost of repairs for damages caused by you to another driver’s vehicle. It also provides protection from uninsured drivers, with cover up to $5,000 of repairs to your vehicle if your car is damaged by an uninsured vehicle and the accident is not your fault.

Third Party Fire and Theft car insurance.

This is mid-range cover for your car. You might not want all the bells and whistles, but you can still get important protection for when you’re out on the road, plus cover in case your car gets stolen, or damaged by fire or attempted theft. Plus, if your car’s damaged by an uninsured vehicle and it’s not your fault, we cover up to $5,000 of repairs to your vehicle.

Listing a learner driver to your car insurance policy.

Learner drivers are covered under all CGU Private Motor Insurance policies without the need to be listed on the policy. However, they must be accompanied by a fully licenced driver aged 25 years or more. This includes a Nominated Driver motor vehicle insurance policy where your premium will be calculated on the basis that your car will be driven by no more than two nominated drivers who are 25 years of age or over.

If, however, a new or used car is purchased to learn in, the safest option is to get a quote and buy a new car insurance policy.

So, whether you’re a learner driver cruising the streets in a new set of wheels, or you’re a parent teaching your learner driver the ins and outs of road safety in your old family car, you can get covered in a few simple steps.

Before you decide which cover is right for you, it’s worth checking the policy documents to get an idea of what is and isn’t covered. For more details, view CGU’s Motor Vehicle Insurance Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).


Insurance issued by Insurance Australia Limited ABN 11 000 016 722 trading as CGU Insurance. Any advice in this article is general only and has been prepared without taking into account your personal objectives, financial situation or needs. Consider the relevant PDS available from to see if a product is right for you.

More in this category:
All articles.