Our favourite military spouse podcaster Beck Rayner from Military Wife Life talks to Leanne Kyle from the Defence Bank Foundation about the life-changing impact the Defence Community Dogs program is having for the dogs, inmates, veterans and their families.
In this episode, Beck and Leanne talk about:
- The Defence Bank Foundation and why they decided to support the DCD program.
- What the DCD program is and how it supports dogs, inmates and veterans.
- Why the program decided to only use rescue dogs and give them a second chance at life.
- The benefits inmates at correctional facilities gain from helping train the dogs.
- The time, effort and money it takes to train a dog ready for a veteran.
- Why the dogs have just as much impact on the lives of the veterans family members as they do on the veterans' lives.
- How the support of the Defence Bank Foundation has resulted in over 50 dogs being trained and homed with veterans.
- The extensive process to match a dog with a veteran and their individual needs.
- Why so many veterans leave getting an assistance dog as a last resort.
- How Defence Bank is further supporting the program by donating even more.
- Why any veteran living with mental health challenges or PTSD should consider getting an assistance dog.