Our favourite military spouse podcaster Beck Rayner from Military Wife Life talks to Leanne Kyle from the Defence Bank Foundation about the life-changing impact the Defence Community Dogs program is having for the dogs, inmates, veterans and their families.
In this episode, Beck and Leanne talk about:
- The Defence Bank Foundation and why they decided to support the DCD program.
- What the DCD program is and how it supports dogs, inmates and veterans.
- Why the program decided to only use rescue dogs and give them a second chance at life.
- The benefits inmates at correctional facilities gain from helping train the dogs.
- The time, effort and money it takes to train a dog ready for a veteran.
- Why the dogs have just as much impact on the lives of the veterans family members as they do on the veterans' lives.
- How the support of the Defence Bank Foundation has resulted in over 50 dogs being trained and homed with veterans.
- The extensive process to match a dog with a veteran and their individual needs.
- Why so many veterans leave getting an assistance dog as a last resort.
- How Defence Bank is further supporting the program by donating even more.
- Why any veteran living with mental health challenges or PTSD should consider getting an assistance dog.
Important note: This information is of a general nature and is not intended to be relied on by you as advice in any particular matter. You should contact us at Defence Bank to discuss how this information may apply to your circumstances.